Canadians are proud to hold one of the most prized citizenships in the world. Every year approximately 160,000 persons become Canadian citizens.
To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must meet the following requirements:
• You must be at least 18 years old;
• You must have permanent resident status in Canada, and that status must not be in doubt. i.e you must not be the subject of an immigration investigation, an immigration inquiry or a removal order;
• Must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement;
• You need to have adequate knowledge of one of the two official languages, French and English;
• Must have no criminal prohibitions;
• Must Understand the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, such as the right and responsibility to vote in elections. You must also have an understanding of Canada's history, values, institutions and symbols.